Monday, August 15, 2016

What Really Matters in Life

In a recent NY Times interview, Walt Bettinger, the Chief Executive of Charles Schwab talked about the lessons he learned in college:
“A business strategy course in my senior year stands out. I had maintained a 4.0 average all the way through, and I wanted to graduate with a perfect average. It came down to the final exam, and I had spent many hours studying and memorizing formulas to do calculations for the case studies.
The teacher handed out the final exam, and it was on one piece of paper, which really surprised me because I figured it would be longer than that. Once everyone had their paper, he said, “Go ahead and turn it over.” Both sides were blank.
And the professor said, “I’ve taught you everything I can teach you about business in the last 10 weeks, but the most important message, the most important question, is this: What’s the name of the lady who cleans this building?”
And that had a powerful impact. It was the only test I ever failed, and I got the B I deserved. Her name was Dottie, and I didn’t know Dottie. I’d seen her, but I’d never taken the time to ask her name. I’ve tried to know every Dottie I’ve worked with ever since.
It was just a great reminder of what really matters in life, and that you should never lose sight of people who do the real work.”

This story made me think of the book that I just finished reading.  In Todd Gongwer's book "LEAD . . . for God's Sake!", a rich CEO and a successful championship basketball coach are heavily influenced by a high school janitor.  If you haven't read Gongwer's book, I highly suggest it.  Your perspective on life will change. You will be on your way to leading a life of significance.

Ralph Waldo Emerson has been attributed with saying "Every man that I meet is in some way my superior and in that way, I learn from him."  Furthermore, the Bible says in Proverbs "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another."


Jamy Bechler is a John Maxwell Certified Leadership Speaker and Executive Coach.  Contact him at CoachBechler@CoachBechler.com to find out how you or your team can be more successful.   You can also subscribe to his leadership insights & newsletter by clicking here.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for these thoughts
    great Article
    It is really very informative post for young people. I really increase your acquisition.

    Are You Looking For an Executive & Bussiness Coaching in Melbourne?

    ReplyDelete