Friday, May 20, 2016

Everyone Communicates; Few Connect

When I read John Maxwell's book “Everyone Communicates; Few Connect”, it was a jolt of lightning in my thinking.  How many of us send memos, emails, texts, facebook messages and tweets but don’t really go beyond the surface?

My brother and I can chat for 30 minutes on the phone and when I hang up, I can’t answer any questions from my wife about my brother’s family or what’s really going on in his life.  But, boy can I tell you his opinion on Michigan football or the Detroit Tigers.   

As coaches, salespeople, teachers or executives, how often do we talk and make our pitch but don’t listen or understand what others want?  I guess there is a reason God gave us two ears and one mouth.  We are constantly communicating but are we really connecting?  Are we really developing a true relationship with others?  

Ask questions.  Be interested in the other person and what they have got to say.  Understand their point of view. If we want to truly be people of influence, then we must learn to make connections with others.  

 Jamy Bechler is a certified John Maxwell leadership coach, speaker and trainer.  You can contact him at Jamy@CoachBechler.com.  You can also subscribe to his leadership newsletter by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment