Tuesday, March 13, 2012

DON'T BE A TWIT ... twitter rules to live by

I am fairly new to the world of social media, especially twitter.  I have an account and have composed some tweets.  However, don't expect me to twit anyone back.  I also just learned in the last week that "dm" isn't short for "you da man".  "Direct Message" makes more sense. I kind of thought that it was strange when people would keep asking me to "dm" them.  Okay, whatever dawg...u da man!  Anyway, I believe the twitter universe is here for the long haul and I must get used to it.  More importantly, my players have embraced it so I guess I need to learn a little something about it.  I came across two great articles about tweeting.  The first is "100 Twitter Rules To Live By", which was written by Darren Rovell (a sports business expert for CNBC).   The second "50 Twitter Tips for Division I Student Athletes" was written by Tom Satkowiak, who works in the athletic media relations off at the University of Tennessee, is a good read for anyone but especially college athletes.  Some of my favorites are:
  • Twitter has not made texting obsolete.  I hate reading messages to others that are just specific to them.  Text them, call them, or lean over 4 feet and just talk to them. 
  • Before hitting send, ask yourself if you would be comfortable with the message if your mom, pastor or grandma read it.  At this rate, no one will be qualified to run for president in 20 years, as everyone will have tweeted too many things they are ashamed of.
  • Don't shirk responsibility for what you tweet just because it didn't originate with you...so what!?!
  • If you would delete the tweet a few days later, if you could, then don't tweet it to begin with.
  • Don't air dirty laundry.
  • Like anything else, enjoy it responsibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment