Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Gunner Kiel "Commits"...again

Gunner Kiel committed to play quarterback at LSU today.  For those of you that don't know who Gunner Kiel is, then here is a snapshot (plus it is really all I know of him since I have never met him, seen him play or befriended him on facebook).  He is a senior quarterback at Columbus East High School in Indiana (40 miles from Indiana University).  He was named the Gatorade Player of the Year in the state of Indiana.  He threw for about a million and a half yards with only a handful of interceptions--and he can run, as well.  His team made it to the state semi-finals.  Oh yeah, and he committed to Indiana University and new coach Kevin Wilson (former Offensive Coordinator at Oklahoma) this past summer.  Two months ago, he evidently decided to help re-write a section of Webster's dictionary. The word commitment must no longer mean to promise or pledge something because Gunner "decommitted" from Indiana University and reopened his recruitment..  Gunner is not the first, nor will he be the last athlete to be confused as to what a commitment actually is.
He said there were multiple factors that went into his decision to de-commit. Yes, he did indicate that IU losing had some influence (but not all) in the decision.  That's weird that the internet that comes to his house (or the news that covers the team a mere 40 miles away) failed to mention that IU has only won about 33% of their games in the 2000's and has gone to 1 bowl game since Gunner has been alive.  This kind of good decision sounds like my first new car purchase.  I spend two hours online trying to save $10 on a hotel room but I just went to the car lot and picked out the first car that caught my eye...and paid sticker price for it.   Yep, I am that guy.  I am sure my picture is up on some wall or in some sales manual somewhere.  You know what?  Do your research.  Don't commit...pledge...or promise something if you don't know what you are getting into.  I imagine the March of Dimes would love my pledge of $100,000.  However, since I don't make a 6-figure income, it is going to be pretty disappointing for those people counting on my money.  If Gunner didn't really know enough about Indiana to go all-in, then he should not have promised to be their quarterback.  If you haven't noticed, recruit "commitments" are a major pet peeve of mine.  Just last week, I had a player call us about the possibility of playing for us.  She had committed somewhere else but was having second thoughts.  Nothing had changed with her scholarship offer or the majors she was interested, nor had the coach left.  I don't mess with that. You committed.  End of story.  That is to be valued.  Gunner (or insert name), here is what you do.  Just say that Indiana is the current favorite or at the top of your list or you are leaning toward them.  Don't make up new meanings for words. That is why we have so many words in the English language.  You can pretty much find a word to match exactly what you are doing or saying at any point in your life.  But then come to think of it, "until death do us part" used to mean just what it says.  Then again, more than 50% of marriages end in divorce.  I guess athletes "de-committing" are just getting a head start on preparing for the real world where, obviously, your word is truly your bond.

**Disclaimer:  I am a die hard Michigan Wolverine football fan.  IU is irrelevant in my world with or without Gunner.  Les Miles coaches LSU.  He is a "Michigan man".  I am happy that he got himself a quarterback to replace the brawler Jordan Jefferson (another blog for another day).  But I truly don't care where Gunner goes or what he ends up doing at the college level.  In short, I have no axe to grind with this little blog entry (except with what I actually said).

No comments:

Post a Comment